Salcombe Cannon Site (Protected wreck site)
N50 12.693 W3 44.706 The site has a 300m exclusion zone
Drone view of the site
Above are some of the artefacts raised and now in the British Museum
The Salcombe Cannon wreck site is close to two other designated wreck sites in the Erme Estuary which the South West Maritime Archaeological Group (SWMAG) are investigating. In 1992 this group described the Salcombe Cannon site as: “A cannon site with nothing else visible” but in 1994, following seabed changes, other artefacts including gold were revealed and the SWMAG began recording the site. Gold jewellery and coins dating between 1510 and 1636 have been recovered from the site and were purchased by the British Museum in 1998. For two seasons information about the site was initially kept confidential between the Receiver of Wreck, the finders and the Archaeological Diving Unit (working for the Advisory Committee on Historic Wreck). The site was designated under the Protection of Wrecks Act in 1997 when news about it was made public. The vessel is unknown but is dated between 1630 and 1640, and it has yielded the largest ever find of Moroccan gold in Europe .
Photos ‘British Museum, Steve Clarkson, Paul Fiander & Neville Oldham