Spyridion Vagliano 1890
N50 02.799 W5 02.680
The Spyridion Vagliano was a 1,110 ton Greek Freighter. On route to Falmouth from Novorossiysk in the Black Sea. It is believed their position (reckoning) was incorrect and she hit the Voices (Maen Voes) of the Manacles on 8th February 1890. She was owned by the Vagliano Line and built in Sunderland by Barton & Sons formally , Barton, Haswell & Co.
She was carrying 10,600 tons of grain destined for Messrs S & T Trounson of Redruth.
Two of her lifeboats were launched but Captain Cambitzio drowned attempting to swim ashore after his lifeboat capsized off Gorevy beach. His body is buried at St Kevern Churchyard. Thirteen of the crew in the other lifeboat also drowned when it also capsized. Only eight crew members survived having made their way to the house of Mr William Eddy at Rosenithon.
Today the wreck is well broken up and ranges from 10 to 25m.
Builder: Bartram , Haswell & Co. Sunderland
Dimensions: 78.45 x 11 x 5.68M
Engine: 2 cyl 170 Hp